Friday, April 16, 2004

whew. 10 days since I last wrote. So much for being diligent about writing often...I am too caught up in thinking I lead a mundane life, too dull to write about. I suppose it's all in the presentation.

I had a difficult meeting with a mother this week who wasn't fulfilling all of her commitments with our organization. I don't believe the woman is flakey, I just think she's extremely busy. A single mom of three trying to make it. Through the course of our meeting which extended into 1.5 hours instead of 30 minutes I felt my heart being tugged towards this woman.

"Anna" already works two jobs. She starts around 7:45 am and goes till 11 pm. She still can't survive on her own. She is contemplating taking on a third job during the nighttime hours.

The working poor.

I admire Anna's strength and determination. I asked her if she was eligible to accept some sort of welfare. She said that it had been three years since she had taken any form of government aid and going back on welfare would be taking a step back.

Here is another story of someone not mooching off the system. She is not a deadbeat. She is not lazy. She is not irresponsible. Yes Anna made some life choices that have put her in this predicament but she presses on. I wonder if life will ever cut her a break.

In other news......I was driving to a meeting this past week and in conversation with a coworker whom I admire. Somehow we got on the subject of church denominations which somehow led my friend to ask the question--Are you pro-choice?

I told her no, I was pro-life, holding the preservation of human life as the highest priority. I am pro-life just as I am against war.

Her response was--Oh, so you're anti-pro-choice......

"I guess so," I replied.

Five minutes later I thought in my head, "According to her game then, she is Anti-Pro-Life. She is Pro death."

Wish it was thought of in the moment so I could have said that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home