Friday, May 07, 2004

I just met with the woman who is in the midst of the domestic violence battle with her former husband. I wrote a little about her a few weeks ago. I've been spending more and more time with her and have developed a deep appreciation and love for her.

I am just returning from her office now where she gave me the necklace off her neck because I admired it. It was such a beautiful gesture and I had a hard time accepting the gift but then realized that I must. One lesson that keeps coming up in this field of work is that I HAVE TO allow myself to receive from those that I am "helping" and working with. Just as I extend hospitality I must be willing to receive it in unexpected places. Sometimes I think it is much harder to receive than give.

It is a lesson that I began learning when I first traveled to Haiti at the age of 14. I went with a very condescending attitude that I would be the American Savior sent to help the helpless. I don't know how I came to have that attitude, I just did. I know now how despicable that sort of mentality is, and I am forever indebted to the Haitians I came into contact with. Haiti began to revolutionize the way I viewed the rest of the world. Like many people who travel from American Abundance to nightmarish poverty and spend time in community with these allegedly helpless people, I was quickly brought to my knees in repentance for such ignorant thoughts. The Haitians who had nothing--gave everything. This woman I am currently working with is in danger of losing everything--yet she gives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home