Sunday, May 09, 2004

I walked away from a very disfunctional human rights organization about six weeks ago. Looking back, it has been the right thing to do and I have greater perspective on just how disfunctional it truly was.

I really thought that leaving six weeks ago was it. I'd never go back.....But a person whom I respect called on Friday night and asked if I could hang out with some of the kids from the homeless shelter on Saturday afternoon because they had no one else to work. I did it, but only because I love the boys and would have the chance to interact with. They are amazing.

One of my favorite kids, Bernardo, a 17 year old from D.F., was referred out of the shelter a little over a month ago. I didn't know where he was, and while driving into work on Saturday he was on my mind. Upon pulling into the driveway to the shelter, he was there sitting on the front porch, waiting to gather the remainder of his things he'd left behind. We had a chance to catch up and chat. He ate frootloops, I knitted a shawl I've been working on the past month. He told me he'd been staying at the Salvation Army for the past month but that it was only a 30 day shelter so his time had come to an end. He had no where to go and had spent the previous night sleeping in MacArthur Park. Throughout this entire month of transition he remained in school--attending every day and getting good grades.

Bernardo is at his end though. With nowhere to go and little hope, this 17 year old, mature beyond his years, is thinking about moving back to Tijuana.

While we talked the words "if a son asks for bread what father would give him a stone....." (loose paraphrase) kept running through my mind. I thought about how taking him in might complicate my life and all that that entails. The bottom line became though that this kid had nowhere but a very unfriendly street to turn to. Why was it even a question in my mind? I am so grateful to have a husband who has the most amazing heart in the world and welcomed Bernardo to stay with us with open arms.

This is the kingdom of God at work.
It is not the healthy that need a doctor......

It has only been two days. Bernardo might leave tomorrow or he might be back. We have the privilege to host him in our house.

The creator of the universe reveals himself in wonderful ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home