Monday, May 17, 2004

Bernardo has been with us a little over a week now. Our family is enjoying our time with him and he proves to be a unique guy. We've spent nights outside around the hookah, or indoors with coffee and pan dulce.

Our relationship that is developing with this 17 year old is very much symbiotic. He needs that which is tangible and immediate--a place to stay and food. But what we are receiving from Bernardo is the opportunity to live a life which is transparent before him.

Last week, over a very late night dinner, Bernardo made a comment to David and I that he'd never seen anyone treat each other as well we did.

I've been thinking a lot this week about "calling" "vocation" and "mission." When I was in college I couldn't wait to graduate so that I could be "out in the field" physically serving people. I think I envisioned great things in college--I saw myself 'loosing the chains of injustice and freeing the oppressed' as Isaiah talks about. It has been hard to see that hope and vision play out through the mundane of daily existence.

I've been asking myself some hard questions lately--wondering if I can be content if God has me doing what I do now indefinitely. "What if this is it" I think to myself.

Somehow, after one week with Bernardo, my thoughts have changed. Living with Bernardo is true community. Bringing another human being into my private space and the day to day life of my family is life changing. Being given the opportunity to extend ourselves to this living, breathing, image of God is incredible. Being given this opportunity to offer love and three people who truly care care about a 17 year old street kid is freeing the oppressed on one level. Likewise, by Bernardo giving us the privilege to house him, he changes us and our views of the world, God, and community.

More and more I am coming to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what my JOB might be. It's the rest of my life that matters. There is more power in how I live my life outside of the hours of 9am-5pm. If my husband and I can model a loving relationship so much so that it causes a 17 year old to take notice, then its worth it. If our family can become more that just a place to stay for Bernardo (and I believe it already has) then that is living out the kingdom of God on a small scale.

I'll close with the words of Nouwen from his journal Gracias!

More and more, the desire grows in me simply to walk around, greet people,
enter their homes, sit on their doorsteps, play ball, throw water, and be
known as someone who wants to live with them. It is a privilege to have
the time and the freedom to practice this simple ministry of presence.
Still, it is not as simple as it seems. My own desire to be useful, to
do something significant, or to be part of some impressive project is so
strong that soon my time is taken up by meetings, conferences, study groups,
and workshops that prevent me from walking the streets. It is difficult not
to have plans, not to organize people around an urgent cause, and not to
feel that you are working directly for social progress. But,I wonder more and
more if the first thing should be to know people by name,
to eat and to drink with them, to listen to their stories, and tell your own,
and to let them know with words, handshakes, and hugs that you do not simply
like them, but truly love them.


How these words ring true in my own life..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home