Thursday, July 22, 2004

One month later.............laziness has found me this month.  Summer is upon us in full force in L.A. and my second story airconditionless apartment is proof.  From my office I can see the smoky haze in the distance where fires are burning in the Riverside area.

The month has been full.  The whole family took off to Maine for a few days to visit my parents.  Even Bernardo was able to join us.  I have one photograph of him, which if I had the patience or technological know-how, I would upload it.  It's a shot of him standing with a fishing pole having just caught an eel, wearing a dopey fisherman's hat.  One of Maine's many picturesque rivers is in the backgrounds.  Any person who would just look at the picture wouldn't think anything out of the ordinary, but myself, knowing this kid, where's he's come from, to the moment of the photo was a stark contrast.  Transplanted, transformed...from hopeless to hopeful.  He found complete love and acceptance in my parents--it shocked him according to David.  Bernardo is an extremely shy guy, but after a day he was seeking out my parents, talking with them, hanging with them alone.  My mom and dad have a true gift of hospitality and it was only accentuated this time as it transcended culture and language. 

A person made a comment to David not so long ago when they found out we had Bernardo living with us.  They said something to the effect of--you're always taking care of other people--you should only look out for yourself in life etc... etc... etc....

What kind of life would that be?  I realize that for the most part we live in a culture that teaches severe individualism, but when it comes down to the most fragile of life....what to you do then?

 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home