Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Yakov Who Smelled Like Horseradish

I spent the early part of this morning talking to an old man who came to repair our dishwasher. He had a thick accent so I was intrigued. I learned that Yakov (who did indeed smell overwhelmingly like horseradish) came to the U.S. as a refugee a little more than a year ago. He didn't explain why his life had been in danger and I didn't want to pry too much but I'm curious about this little old man.

His English was impressive for only having taken 7 months of classes but he kept apologizing for the way he spoke.

People have fascinating stories to them. Here is a man who speaks at least 6 languages and worked as a mechanical engineer in Moscow. Now for some reason unbeknownst to me he is repairing air conditioners and dishwashers in Pasadena. I had so many questions but figured I'd better get back to what I was doing once he finally asked me to let him finish his job. ...

I wonder how many houses Yakov has been in. Has anyone ever asked him about his background or why he is now here? Has anyone ever expressed any interest in him? I wonder if people just assume he is 'another immigrant' that has come to this country to find a good job. I wonder what I would have assumed about him if I hadn't asked him.

Not long after Yakov left Bernardo came home with his girlfriend. Sonia is 14 years old. I didn't realize how young she really was until I met her. I have no clue what to do with this situation. Do David and I send her to homeless shelter? I wouldn't wish that on any 14 year old girl having worked in one. It's not safe. Do we send her home? She says she can't go back there.

How could any parent kick a 14 year old out to the street? She may deserve to be disciplined, but kicked out in the middle of Los Angeles? What are they thinking? I'm so tired of seeing parents not step up to the job of parenting. I see it all the time with the kids I work with.

Maybe I'll stick my foot in my mouth when I have "my own" teenagers someday. I don't claim to completely understand what it is like to parent teenagers. Nor do I think I can totally comprehend why Sonia has made the decisions she has. When I was 14 I was living in a small East Coast town where I could walk around outside till it was late at night. My days were filled walking from friend's house to friend's house. Our daily excitement? Drinking tea at the Main Street Cafe. My reality is so far removed from Sonia who has only met her father twice, and been away from her mother until a year and a half ago when a coyote brought her and her younger sister to the United States from El Salvador. My life was a lot easier than hers has been. I've been shown love, consistency, and parents who weren't afraid of me. So how do I meet a girl like this where she's at? Why is this eighth grader wasting her time with a 17 year old? (we'll be talking about that issue tonight for sure).

I don't know what will come out of tonight. For the time being, I drove Bernardo's butt back downtown to school and told Sonia she could stay at our place until later tonight when David and I were both home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home